Fundraising Vision & Practices
Thousand Currents recognizes that charitable giving can be as much a personal journey as a practical response to needs in our global community.
We believe that fundraising methods must be flexible, culturally competent, and relationship-based. It is our privilege to engage with the public for raising resources to support Thousand Currents’ mission.
We know that there are diverse motives that bring people to a cause or social movement. We want to respect the path taken by a Thousand Currents donor, or a prospective donor, in committing to our organizational mission and to our partners in the Global South.
We invite our donors’ curiosity to learn, explore, and affect our global society through the sharing of their resources and volunteer time as a part of the Thousand Currents community. Below are the tenets of our fundraising practices:
- We acknowledge a donor’s gift as more than a financial transaction. Every gift has a story that contains the personal impulse to do good.
- We aim to help donors identify a donation amount that is significant and meaningful to them.
- We want to receive every donor’s gift with the fullest gratitude and respect, regardless of its size, frequency, origin, or designation. (Note, in some instances we follow our gift acceptance policy to ensure that we are in alignment with our values and organizational practices so that we may better serve the philanthropic partnership).
- Our database will accurately document our constituencies and their contributions to Thousand Currents. All donor information will be treated with equal consideration and privacy regardless of economic or social stature.
- We will teach, inspire, and motivate activism for social justice by fundraising consistent with Thousand Currents’ vision and values.
- We will help families, individuals, foundations, and corporations create a tradition of giving by creating multi-year and long-term gift opportunities, which matches our long-term commitment to our partners in the Global South.
- We will treat any knowledge gained from our donors with sensitivity and appropriateness when used for our fundraising purposes.
- We will recognize and memorialize all supporters that contributed time, talent, and resources toward Thousand Currents’ mission respectfully and appropriately, including keeping donor’s identities anonymous as requested.
- Thousand Currents will be vigilant and transparent in our fundraising reporting on behalf of the organization, the public, and our partners per Thousand Currents’ values, as well as per the Association of Fundraising Professionals’ Code of Ethics and Donor Bills of Rights.
We are always happy to talk to more about our fundraising model or provide you with more information about giving to Thousand Currents. Please contact Rajiv Khanna, Director of Philanthropic Partnerships, via email at rajiv (at) thousandcurrents (dot) org,or by phone at 415-824-8384 ext. 108.
There are a thousand ways to support our work.
One of them is donating.