How do we turn love into action?
First and foremost, we find and support visionary leaders and organizations in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Then we give them grants. But not in the way “old school” funders offer support:
- Our grants have no strings or conditions attached.
- Our grants have no arbitrary time frames.
- Our flexible grants enable the people who know best – those most impacted by food, economic, and climate injustice – to identify and respond to their communities’ priorities.
Our work – an expression of our love and solidarity in action – is about unlocking and exchanging grassroots brilliance!
Of course this is not all our team of over-achievers does. As our partners remind us, we have a responsibility and an opportunity to affect broad changes beyond our grantmaking. That’s why we’re making waves in traditional philanthropy and impact investing! We work with donors, diaspora communities, foundations, and young professionals to highlight and create new models of collaboration that dismantle unequal structures and center our collective liberation and well-being. We offer training to change-makers, create new models of investing, and set up funds to address pressing issues like climate that require grassroots solutions.
“But how can we love you better?” we asked in 2017.
In strategy discussions with board, staff, and partners, we received a resounding message:
Deepen the core and turn up the volume!
Thousand Currents’ work remains necessary, catalytic, and unfinished. To that end, we want to use our resources, access, and influence for:
- more funding to grassroots organizations and movements in the Global South,
- stronger partnerships within our community,
- amplified communications about our partners’ solutions, and
- bolder philanthropic advocacy.
There are a thousand ways to support our work.
One of them is donating.