Defending food sovereignty across the world
La Via Campesina (LVC) is an international movement driven by approximately 200 million peasants, small and medium size farmers, landless people, rural women and youth, indigenous people, migrants and agricultural workers. LVC has 182 member organizations in 81 countries which are organized into the following regions currently: Southern and Eastern Africa, Western and Central Africa, Arab and Northern Africa, South Asia, Southeast and East Asia, Europe, North America, Central America, Caribbean, and South America.
Harnessing the solidarity among its members, LVC defends peasant agriculture for food sovereignty as a way to promote social justice and dignity and oppose corporate driven agriculture that destroys nature and social relations. LVC’s work centers around three struggles:
- defending food sovereignty and struggling for land and agrarian reforms
- promoting agroecology and defending local seeds
- promoting peasant rights and struggling against the criminalisation of peasants.
In the International Conference that happens once every four years each region proposes one man and one woman for the International Coordinating Committee (ICC). The International Operative Secretariat coordinates the work of the International Coordinating Committee and supports the coordination of the international activities of LVC, the working collectives, the youth and women articulation, the campaigns, and if necessary — the regions. The International Operative Secretariat’s location, which rotates every four to eight years, is currently hosted in Zimbabwe by the Zimbabwe Smallholder Organic Farmers Forum – and is transitioning to Confederation Paysanne in France who will host the International Operative Secretariat beginning in June 2021.
- Comisión de Mujeres de Centroamérica de La Via Campesina/ Women’s Commission of Central America of La Via Campesina
- Federación Nacional de Mujeres Campesinas , Indigenas, Nativas y Asalariadas de Peru (FENMUCARINAP)
- Federación Nacional Sindical Unitaria Agropecuaria (FENSUAGRO)
- Focus on the Global South
- Movimento dos Atingidos por Barragens (MAB)/ The Movement of People Affected by Dams
- Movimento dos Trabalhadores Rurais Sem Terra (MST) / Landless Workers Movement
- Zimbabwe Smallholder Organic Farmers’ Forum (ZIMSOFF)
There are a thousand ways to support our work.
One of them is donating.