The Thousand Currents Academy started as a response to a mandate from our international partners to promote transformative, culturally competent, human-rights-focused, and social-justice-based approaches to philanthropic partnerships with communities in the Global South.
Our vision is for the Academy to serve as a launchpad for the growing network of graduates to work in creative, collaborative, and courageous ways to tackle the root causes of inequity and injustice the world over.
In our daily lives, we are contending with the existential and practical implications of our political and economic systems for people and the planet. Borne out of these unequal structures, philanthropy, as a vessel of resources, is fraught with tensions. That is why we need thoughtful, grounded leaders in philanthropy who are committed to the bold transformation of our sector.
What are the goals of the Thousand Currents Academy?
- Grounding in history, agency, body, and vision
- Connect philanthropists and impact investors to grassroots wisdom holding ancestral knowledge
- Align practices with learning and transformation
- Uplift grassroots solutions tackling the root causes of the climate crisis
What’s unique about the Thousand Currents Academy?
- Global South grassroots faculty
- Innovative learning modalities that embraces openness and experimentation
- Built on a 37-year history of tried and trusted grantmaking practice
- Embraces language justice principles
- Rooted in Global South, Indigenous and radical Black feminist traditions and knowledge
What People Are Saying
Interested in learning more about The Academy?
Email Crystal Des-Ogugua, Thousand Currents’ Donor Education Manager.